[ltp] lm sensors

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:53:08 -0700

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 05:38:03PM +0200, Bill Mair wrote:

> > On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, SMichelle wrote:
> >[...]
> > You should be able to ovverride the dependency: Check rpm's man page.
> > If kde _needed_ lm_sensors, it would have run it, and your machine
> > would already be hosed.
>
> How very true, sad but true. Does anyone know why KDE lists lm_sensors as
> a pre-req ?

Probably because there are a number of GUI hardware health monitors
for KDE (e.g. things that go in the dock to show CPU temp and such).

> Do any of you IBMers know if there has been any progress made on this ?
> As I said before (a long time ago), no mortal LTPer is going to beta test
> possible fixes (way toooo dangerous), this is something that REALLY requires
> IBMs support and attention.

We've given up on IBM, but we've had some help from other sources.
We just received samples of what could be the chip which is suspect
(Atmel AT24RF08).  We will try to play with it to see if we can
explain why our code causes it to puke.  Even from looking at the
datasheet it isn't clear why.

Without proper documenation, access to helpful IBM engineers, or even
a Thinkpad... we are doomed to progress only very slowly.  Rest
assured, though, that we are trying hard to fix this.  Even Alan Cox
has asked us to fix this specific issue (or at least detect IBM
hardware and disable our code) before it will be allowed into the
2.5.x kernel.

BTW- if anyone out there wants to help out by donating a vulnerable
Thinkpad for testing, or for testing code themselves, please let me
know.

Phil (Lm_sensors cofounder)