[ltp] 770E sound

Adam Benjamin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:46:05 -0400 (EDT)

> I went with the "SoundBlaster" driver with I/O port: 0x220, IRQ: 5, DMA:

The soundblaster stuff won't sound as good.  What you want to use is a
crystal chipset - as that's what you have.  I too have a TP 770E and
am running RH 7.3.  Here's my modules.conf:

post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

Now, keep in mind a few things - it depends on what settings have been
configured for the sound card in your bios.  You'll have to check
those out.  The only good way I've found of doing that is using the
ps2.exe tool under a dos boot.  I've got a separate partition on my HD
to make that process less painfull - and I have my hybernation file
there as well.

One other quirk - I've noticed that after a suspend my volume settings
(under RH 7.3) are wrong.  I have a script which does the following:

/bin/aumix-minimal -f /path/to/.aumixrc -L

(where /path/to is where you want to keep the setting... you can use
/etc/.aumixrc like it does in the modules.conf.)

Anyway, my sound works fine and I've been quite pleased with the
quality of it.  Good luck getting it to work.

> ... when it was a win98 machine the sound was beautiful so I think it
> should be possible for a boost in audio quality.

Should be.  Wait till you get it working as the (native) crystal
chipset.

Enjoy,

Adam