[ltp] Backup Solutions?

Ben Pfaff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
28 Aug 2002 21:58:01 -0700

"D. Sen" <dsen@ieee.org> writes:

> I am looking for suggestions for backing up my hard drive.
>
> With hard-drives sizes greater than 30 Gigs, copying filesystems to
> CDROM is no longer an option.....

I use DDS-3 tape, myself.  It can back up 12 GB uncompressed per
tape.  With DDS-4 you can get, if I recall correctly, 20 GB
uncompressed per tape.  It's a bit expensive for the drive itself
but tapes are relatively cheap.

You can use a PCMCIA SCSI card to interface to a DDS tape drive.

> Are people using USB(2.0?)/Firewire drives? Do they work
> reliably on linux?

I've had no trouble writing CD-R and CD-RWs over Firewire from
Linux via PCMCIA.  I haven't tried hard drives though.
--
"Debian for hackers, Red Hat for suits, Slackware for loons."
--CmdrTaco <URL:http://slashdot.org/articles/99/03/22/0928207.shtml>