[ltp] T30 Docking Problem

Lee Colleton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
01 Dec 2002 11:29:38 -0800

--=-SW7+Ob9Z5g3qaxaEa1UW

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 13:34, D. Sen wrote:
> I just bought a docking station for my T30 and am having trouble
> releasing the laptop from the docking station. So far, I have only been
> able to detach the machine by switching off power (literally pulling out
> the plug) to the docking station.
>=20
> Is this the correct mode of operation for the docking station or is the
> unit malfunctioning? If it IS the correct mode, how are you meant to
> detach the machine without needing to power it down?
>=20
> DS
>=20
>=20
I noticed the same "feature" with my 560X and it's docking station; The
dock will latch the ThinkPad in place while it is charging.  Two
effective ways to release this latch without shutting down entirely are:
1. Put the ThinkPad in suspend mode by pressing Fn+F4 (on the 560X)
2. Remove power to the docking station.  I have my dock's power routed
through a surge protector which makes this a simple matter.
This feature is not documented so far as I can tell, but is probably in
place to prevent power surges from damaging the dock or attached
equipment.  The ThinkPad's DC/DC power card can handle the surge of
disconnecting the supply while power is applied, but attached
monitors/drives/etc. may not be protected.

Here is a link to the IBM ThinkPad Dock User's Guide:
http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4UYLS4.html?lang=3Den_US&page=3Dbrand&=
brand=3Droot&doctype=3D&subtype=3DCat&up=3Dunknownuser

Lee

--=-SW7+Ob9Z5g3qaxaEa1UW

--=-SW7+Ob9Z5g3qaxaEa1UW--