[ltp] Static <-> Modular kernel probs

Scott Ehrlich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:21:42 -0500

Whenever I compile a kernel I always prefer a static to modular version to
enhance security.   But, there are times when I may opt to recompile as a
modular kernel instead.

Whenever I'd done so, though, I always get errors that the /etc.../modules
directory doesn't exist.  I would enable full loadable module support in
the kernel, then perform a make modules;make modules install.

Sometimes, if I need to change kernel versions, I'll do make modules;make
modules install twice - once with the "old" kernel version, then, once
rebooted with the new version in place, again.

I can never get out of the module struggle unless I reinstall.

Any help would be appreciated on how to successfully swap back and forth
between static and modular kernels.   I'm using Debian.

Thanks.

Scott