[ltp] DVD plays half of the screen twice

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:43:50 -0500

On 04 Dec 2002 09:09:17 -0500
Derek Rogillio <dereklist@rogillio.net> wrote:

> That is the way I understand it.  For 8.0, Red Hat modified XFree86
> 4.2.1 to include support for the Xft2.0 extensions that are currently in
> the XFree CVS code.

$rpm -q XFree86
XFree86-4.2.0-72

Red Hat 8.0 apparently uses XFree86 4.2.0.  Besides, the initial problem
(DVD playback broken) was reported by a Gentoo user - using (presumably)
stock XFree86 4.2.1.

> It's a major factor in my current search for a new distribution.  I've
> been using Red Hat exclusively since 5.x, but I am now looking at more
> "hacker-friendly" distributions like SlackWare and Gentoo.

So long as you don't need to play DVDs on a Thinkpad 700X or 700Z, you'll
be fine... :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/