[ltp] ThinkPad A20P Modem = ?

Frank Roberts - SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:52:24 -0500

Hi All

This is getting more interesting as it goes along. And judging from my results
maybe I should get Mandrake 9.0 but in reality I suspect I would still have
the same problems or versions there of besides except for this modem problem
I don't any possible advantages.

Anyway just to keep you people informed the followingactions have been
performed.

First I have had problems with Linux files that were downloaded by XP not
being recognized as executable on the Linux side of the Thinkpad dual boot so
I changed and downloaded the file on my desktop RH 7.3 system and then save
them to disk for transport to the Thinkpad.

Second, After installation of the ltmodem RPM one of the error messages on
start of checkout said that wvdial had to be installed for ltmodem to work
correctly. This file was installed.

Third, ltmodem refused to check out complaining that I had configured the box
for both modem and DSL. The  network card configuration was removed.

Note: The first three items were accomplished by reinstalling the system. That
is easer than trying to correct the problems any other way I know especially
since I can do that while I am playing computer games. Point is that on
issuing the command:
rpm --install ltmodem-kv_2.4.19_16mdk-8.22a5-1.i586.rpm
this is being done to a virgin system as root.

Fourth the line :
cat  /tmp/ltmodem/tmpfile   was added to:
/etc/modules.conf   and
/sbin/depmod -a    was ran as per the instillation instruction.

Fifth: Checkout was initiated and stooped after giving 3 readouts of:
lspic: -f: invalid slot number
lspic: -f: invalid slot number
lspic: -f: invalid slot number
After that Checkout just sets there with no action.

The following is a copy of the checkout file:

# this report may enable you to solve problems.
# But if further help is needed  send /root/checkout.txt to
discuss@linmodems.org
# Please use as the following as the email Subject:
SUBJECT=(checkout, mandrake, Mandrake Linux release 8.2 (Bluebird) for i586,
kernel 2.4.18-6mdk)
DEVFS=active
UNAME_A=Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.18-6mdk #1 Fri Mar 15 02:59:08 CET
2002 i686 unknown
VERS=/usr/share/doc/ltmodem-kv_2.4.18_8.1mdk-8.26a9
VERS2=

Thanks in advance for any help, comments, or advice that you can think of that
may be useful.

Thanks

Frank