[ltp] Distributions

Frank Roberts - SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 19:14:32 -0500

Hi All, and especially Pam, Tod and Richard who have given me such great
advice.

Because several comments have been made concerning my running Mandrake 8.2 and
not Mandrake 9.0 I am going to stick my neck way way out and describe my
experience with distributions.

Note please folks these are my experiences my reasoning - not yours - so lets
not have a war over this. If fact most like I will not even answer a posting
consering this. But I say this biting tong in cheek some of these experiences
could help some of the more experienced and more knowledgable programmers in
the realm of seeing what the current situation is like from the point of a
long term low level armature.

Here in West Central Florida the 5 top distributions in order are: Red Hat
(RH), Mandrake (MD), SuSE, Debian, and Gentoo
(http://www.gentoo.org/index.xml).

The first distribution we ( actually the computer club) on my old computer was
SuSE 6.0. I found that I did not understand the configuration, could not edit
the configuration files, and could not get it to connect to my ISP and that
no amount of help (either SuSE or the computer club) could solve my ISP
problems. Now SuSE may be a very fine distribution if you can do things their
way but if you must configure your computer with a nonstandard very odd ball
configuration do to the applications that you are executing then it is very
confining. Thus for this reason I rank it a very poor 5 as for as engineering
(electrical power systems) usage.

In disgust I switched to RH 6.0. After installation I was on line 20 minutes
after my first discussion with RH support. My old ISP was blocking non
Windows systems. I changed ISP; problem solved.

A year or two later I built a box and I installed RH 7.0, 7.1, 7.3, and then
8.0 personal. Bluntly, I do not like 8.0; infact to put it mildly I rank RH
8.0 (not RH 7.X) way below SuSE. The problems are astronomical and I do mean
problems and by problems I mean things that do not function correctly (as per
Linux standards). That was on my desktop. Three months ago for business
reasons I purchased an A20P Thinkpad to which I first attempted to install RH
8.0.

But before describing the RH 8.0 installation experience their came the
partition issue. For a number of reasons all comming down to the basic issue
that if it ain't MS Windows "electrical power equipment supply companies"
will not supply programs that are required for me to condust business I need
a dual boot box. I also need the data to be secure form my computer screw
ups. All this means that I decided that the best approach would to split the
HD into three sectors:MS Windows, Common Data, and Linux. To do this split I
purchased Partition Magic 7.0. Here became a major issue PM 7.0 did not for
me work correctly with Linux partitions. The final results being that I
partitioned the MS Windows side with PM 7.0 and the Linux side with which
ever Linux distribution I was attempting to install while the Common_Data
partition was up for grabs.

Without going through a two week trial and error experience the issue with
Common_Data became "The Issue". First I set for fat32 but RH 8.0 and SuSE 8.2
refused to acknowledge it existence. Then I tried fat but could not get it to
go over 2032 MB. Then being discussed with RH 8.0 and SuSE 8.2 I bought
Mandrake 8.2. More on the RH and SuSE issue in a moment. Anyway back to
partitioning I installed the Mandrake 8.2 my partition problems as far as my
operating system went away (doing expert installation). But! Now after
installing Mandrake and adjusting my partitions RH 8.0 and SuSE 8.2 will not
acknowledge the existing partition structure. The machine does is and is
quite happy but RH and SuSE do not. That becomes latter.

Back to the installations. Well being a loyal RH addict I tried RH 8.0 on the
new box. Think was that it would be easy to correct the RH setup. Not so but
that was the thinking. Well first I could not get it to install. Now I have
done over a hundred RH installation generally I must admit because I screw
something up, haven't the fainest idea of how to fix it, and solve the
problem by reinstalling the system. Point is I had gotten good at it. I could
do an installation, take a shower, eat, and conclude it as fast as the CD
would read the data and install it.

Then I hit RH 8.0 on the Thinkpad. First I couldn't get it to work - and I
mean basically work as a GUI installation. Here I mean the system after the
installation not the installation process. Solve this by installing for
command line (user level 3) not 5 (GUI). Started X and had GUI but what a
shitty screen. Two points "Bluecurve" and the level of screen flicker
rendered the screen unusable at times. Not all times but at times. Decided to
try to install XF86 from SuSE which had a perfect screen in 2D. Problem
appeared to be solved but not sure. Then I tried to switch to GUI start up
direct with out going through command line. System would start and
immediately crash. Solved that by removal of "Bluecurve Login" and using "KDE
Login GUI". Then I tried to initiate KDE. That is when I finally gave up and
went off to the old computer store. Note the sequence as described here is a
wee bit more complex but this is close.

Well at the old computer store I had a choice of SuSE 8.2 or Mandrake 8.2. Now
knowing that Mandrake 9.0 was out and knowing that Mandrake was similar to RH
I chose SuSE. Bad choice for my usage. Installation went perfectly. Programs
ran perfect. But! I ran head up against my old configuration problem. I could
not get my strange configuration to stay on the SuSE system. I would change
the configuration only to find upon reboot that the system restore had
reconfigured the box again. Having no desires I wrote my $40 off as a lesson
in what not to do and went and got the Mandrake 8.2 even though I had rather
have had the Mandrake 9.0.

Now purchasing Mandrake 9.0 I put in the same category as attempting to buy
cheap CD from some of the cheap CD places. Here maybe I am showing my bull
headiness, stupidity, or maybe my knowledge of people but I never like to buy
things from people I don't see. I just find it hard to do business that way.
This means I don't like doing business where I have to call a company unless
I personally know the person on the other end of the phone when I have the
company's address and phone number. As far as sending my credit card number
to a company with the hope that they will send me the product well not me
folks. This becomes relevant in "I don't know how to order Mandrake with out
doing this." Point is with no local supplier it was Mandrake 8.2.

Back to installation now with Mandrake. I installed MD 8.2 and immediately
noted that it installed provided I chose 2D graphics and the "high intensity"
driver for XF86config as chosen by MD 8.2 and 1020 x 780 resolution. No
problems. Several minor issues. The screen flickers a little. So I decided to
install XF86 and XF86 config from SuSE as I did to RH. No problem 2 simple
instillations 2 hours and screen flicker problem solve. Ha Ha. SuSE8.2 and RH
8.0 will not read the partition table from MD 8.2 so as far as SuSE and RH
are concerned the drive is not partitioned. No was back to the MD 8.2 and I
will update after I go on line.

On a more broad scale it will be noted that the three distributions discussed
of the five listed all reflect commercial distributions. Each one has been
modified from the standard. Two SuSE with YAST and RH with the Bluecurve have
been modified to such an extent that they are not usable for my installation.
This modification is something that I have great fears about with Mandrake
9.0 in light of existing experience,

It will be noted that two distribution have not been discussed. Debian and
Gentoo. Both are not commercial, both are only readily available over the
internet with a high band width connection which I don't have. It could be
pointed here that Debian is available from people like "Cheap Bites" but that
has two complications. One being my concepts of money. The other brings in
Gentoo sort of. Gentoo is a distribution which is really not a traditional
distribution but one in which you choose what you want and how you want it.
Which packages and how you want them installed.

As far as I am concerned I am not currently technically qualified to configure
Debian or download Gentoo much less configure it but developing that
competency is where I am headed as I find the situation, issues, and problems
associated with SuSE, RH and Mandrake as acceptable as the one I encounter
with MS Windows are.

Thanks

Frank