[ltp] No Sound at all...

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 18:19:43 +0000

Kelly John Rose wrote:
> Okay, I have the following setup
>
> Enlightenment on a Mandrake 8.2 install
> Thinkpad 1200 i Series Part #1161-210
> with an etherjet cardbus
>
> As well, I tried to download the software to handle the automatic sleep
> function when the lid is closed, but my thinkpad isn't supported. Anyone
> know where I could find instructions on how to get my thinkpad not to
> sleep when the lid is closed.

This is a BIOS function - set it up there.

Actually, I know tpctl will do lots of useful stuff - but isn't it _all_
available in the BIOS?

Richard

P.S. I found that Mdk 8.2 does some slightly weird things with sound.
Looking at the notes I made when I installed it (and which I really must
webify), I found the following.

sound - xmms works fine but sometimes need to be root. (use the OSS driver).
midi - kmidi etc works only as root.

need to do:
ln -s /dev/sound/midi00 /dev/sound/midi
chmod a+rw /dev/sound/*

also need to turn up the mixer volume!

Some sound formats work better that others - I have xmms working, also
the command line "play" and timidity