[ltp] Distributions

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 21:45:06 -0500

The only comment I have on Frank's various problems is with X. On laptops=
 you=20
want to run X at the physical resolution of the LCD. That is to say each =
LCD=20
has an actually number of pixels. For instance the A20p is a 1400x1050=20
display resolution. If you set up for a different resolution (which the A=
20's=20
chipset is perfectly capable of) then what you have is a displayed pixel=20
isn't quite really one hardware pixel on the display, which makes the dis=
play=20
seem kind of 'fuzzy' or even 'flickery'.=20

Honestly there is NO utility yet invented that is capable of totally sett=
ing=20
up X properly. However, MDK 9.0 seems to be the first I've found that doe=
s it=20
right.

Also note that on the A20p you have to run at 16 bpp (64 thousand colors)=
 if=20
you want 3d hardware acceleration.=20

--=20
Tod G. Harter