[ltp] Distributions - Wine

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 21:55:00 -0500

I decided to play with WineX. The results were less than exciting. Civ II=
I=20
doesn't work, I couldn't get Kohan to work either (both are 'supported'=20
games). Other software I tried included an old pre-MS version of VISIO (t=
he=20
installer failed), and the winMX client (which sort of works but with bug=
s=20
which make it effectively unuseable). Notepad.exe in fact does not even r=
un=20
cleanly on WineX under MDK 9.0...

Now WineX is intended for games, so the fact that it doesn't do some othe=
r=20
stuff well is not surprising, but the fact is my experience with it (and =
with=20
wine in general) is that it doesn't work, period.=20

On Friday 06 December 2002 10:07 pm, Richard Neill wrote:

> It depends what you use. A *crude* rule of thumb is "if it will install
> on W95, and it doesn't use hardware directly", it should work. Actually=
,
> wine is probably better than that. The codeweavers version of wine give=
> you the option to create a "fake_windows installation", whereas
> Mandrake's version requires a windows partition. I've had successes wit=
> the current wine (preview 7) and no MS Windows:
>
> =09Lotus Smartsuite Millennium - and it didn't even need a reboot!
> =09Mathcad - (5.0 for Win 3.1)
> =09Microchip's PIC assembler MPASM
> =09A serial PIC programmer designed for Win.
>
> I've failed with:
> =09Canon USB scanner
> =09Psion Wavefinder (Digital Radio via USB)
> =09PC MarketEye (although it nearly works)
>
> I haven't tried the crossover office stuff, but I understand that it wo=
rks.

> Hope these data points are of some faint interest!
>
> Best wishes
>
> Richard

--=20
Tod G. Harter