[ltp] Distributions - Wine

Dean L. Hedin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:59:50 -0500

On Sunday 08 December 2002 09:55 pm, Tod Harter wrote:
> Now WineX is intended for games, so the fact that it doesn't do some other
> stuff well is not surprising, but the fact is my experience with it (and
> with wine in general) is that it doesn't work, period.

To get the best out of Wine you really have to tweak the "DLL overide"
settings in the config file and copy dll's from a Windos box over to your
linux machine.  Things like comctl comdlg etc...    Read the docs..

The emulation .dll's just are not up to snuff yet.  And for obvious reasons
the Wine folks can't ship Window's dlls!

By doing the dll copy over, I have been able to run many more Windows
apps successfully.  Could'nt believe MPLAB worked.  Most Borland compiled
stuff seems to go, including the BC5 compiler!

Even better, some have maped the "fake_windows" dir to a real mounted
Windows' disk.  Some of the more complex games will run this way.

What I really like about Wine is the porting tool.  Wish more Windows authors
were made aware of it.   I have successfully recompiled some of my own win32
code with it.  Quickest way to port Window's apps to Linux.