[ltp] BIOS upgrade

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:19:47 -0500

As I recall from playing around with a 380 you only need DOS for the BIOS
flash, not windows. I don't think wine would even work since it doesn't
really do DOS emulation... I can virtually promise you that vmware won't be
able to talk to the necessary hardware, it doesn't really ever have direct
hardware access at all, everything is an emulation provided by the virtual
machine on top of the host operating system's services.

Personally I'd be very leary of using FreeDOS for anything like this. I've
used it a good bit, and frankly its not really all that stable when it comes
to hardware access... You can run simple DOS programs with it, but I think
you'd be pushing your luck with this kind of thing.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain