[ltp] BIOS upgrade

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:30:33 +0100

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 14:59:01 +0100, sebastian sauer wrote:
> On Monday 23 December 2002 02:57, Mike Leone wrote:
> > Errikos Pitsos (ml1@xerx.com) had this to say on 12/22/02 at 20:46:
> > > Tell a friend to make you a boot disk, that's what I did.
> >
> > Or make one yourself from <http://www.bootdisk.com>, perhaps. I think some
> > of those images are WinIMage compatable, so you could just dd them.
> thanks for the hints!
>
> however i would favor something that completely avoids this M$ win/dos
> shit. besides a boot disk floppy isn't really an option as my R31 has no
> floppy drive. sure, i still could make a FAT32 partition on /dev/hda but
> i'd prefer not to.
>
> IIRC there are various GPL'ed pieces of code that do the BIOS flashing on
> x86 linux systems. but these require that you have the BIOS update as raw
> image, while the BIOS provided by IBM is some warped up DOS package. :-(
>
> i'd appreciate any pointers or hints in that direction.

Maybe FreeDOS also works for a BIOS upgrade. This way you can avoid
using M$ crap. I have a little FAT16 partition on my TP for the
hibernation file and for things like ps2.exe or BIOS upgrades.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG