[ltp] Thinkpad 760XL, Red Hat 8.0, and XFree86

Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:29:37 +0100

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 22:25:38 -0500, Mike Barnard wrote:
> 	Hi. I've got this crappy old Thinkpad 760XL that I've been
> 	running linux on for quite some time now, but I can't get X
> 	working to save my
> life. Actually, it used to work under Red Hat 7.2. I upgraded to 7.3
> and while it worked fine for the graphical install, it became a
> jumbled mess when I tried to run it after the 7.3 install. I moved to
> 8.0, hoping to make things better, but it made them worse - now I get
> nothing at all. The X server starts successfully but NOTHING is
> displayed - it's just a black screen. I can kill the server with
> control-alt-backspace and it shuts down normally, but I never get to
> see anything on my display. Furthermore, when I did the 8.0 install,
> even the X server that starts for the graphical install didn't work.
> It worked fine for 7.2 and 7.3. If anyone has a working XF86Config
> for a Thinkpad 760XL (or any other Thinkpad with the Trident Cyber
> 9385 chipset) I'd REALLY appreciate it.
>
> Oh, and as an aside, does anyone know what Red Hat has replaced the
> old, reliable Xconfigurator program with? I have nothing to easily
> configure my X server with in text mode now. Tweaking XF86Config by
> hand is not my forte.

Hi Mike,

here is my Christmas present for you: an XF86Config file. :-) As you can
see from the comments, this one is for a 765L, however, I tweaked it a
little bit, so I think it should work with a 800x600 resulotion.

Regards,
Tino