[ltp] Switched to Linux guest on Vmware running on Windows host

Chris Merrill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:32:27 -0500

Justin C wrote:

 >>Chris Merrill wrote:

>>I had a similar experience as Mike.  Under Linux, my T23
>>would hibernate fine, but upon waking would loose either
>>the mouse or keyboard.  It would not hibernate at all.
>>After much effort I gave up and restored the original
>>Win2k installation - hibernate/suspend now work _almost_
>>always (I have found a few applications that conflict
>>somehow, so I don't use them anymore).
>>
> I may be way off track here but could it be the hibernate file/partition? Is
> it big enough to hold the backup? If you have, for example, 128M RAM and a
> 256M hibernate file/partition what happens when your RAM + swap > 256M?
>
> It'll take someone with more brains than me to tell you, I'm only here to
> make suggestions :-)

I had hoped that was the problem, since I had upgraded from 128M to
640M immediately after purchase.  I found numerous resources and
references to solving that problem.  After finding a floppy-based
linux boot disk with 'parted' for partitioning tasks and the 'lphdisk'
utility for formatting the hibernation partition correctly based
on the BIOS type, I still couldn't get it to work.  After spending
about 12 hours (over the course of several days) I gave up.