[ltp] Major crash with a TP600 on RH 7.2

Kirk Turner-Rustin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:26:48 -0500

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 11:54 am, Adam Benjamin wrote:
[snip]

> > After login, first command that came up to my mind: 'startx' !
> >
> > The X system did start, as usual. This is, up to now, the last time
>
> Bizzare.  I don't know why it wouldn't start automatically but *would*
> start manually.

I do -- the X login manager (xdm or kdm or the prefdm script or equivalent)
isn't working. The login manager is generally executed from an appropriate
line in /etc/inittab, whereas it generally is not executed from 'startx'. I
only know this because I once had to deal with the same "respawn" messages
when trying to boot into runlevel 5.

Bernard, look for a line in /etc/inittab like the following:

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

where /etc/X11/prefdm may be something else, like xdm. Whichever *dm
program is referenced may have gotten corrupted, or if it's a shell script
(like prefdm) it may refer to another file that is missing or corrupted.

--
Kirk Turner-Rustin
Programmer/Analyst