[ltp] Drive Set-up on a TP760ED

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:06:59 +0000 (GMT)

oops I forgot your other questions, 48 meg of ram is again tight, however
I used to run solaris 2.4 x86 in 32meg and at the time I found it pretty
usable at the time, its what you get use to. My current laptop has 128meg
however only 112 meg usable, (crusoe chip takes 16 meg of ram). if you
upgrade to 80 I think it should be fine.

Linux does not use UFS as a native filesystem type, normally it likes UFS
in read only. The "normal" filesystem on linux systems is "ext2", it also
uses partitions the same way windows does. Partitions can be either
primary partitions (your get 4 of them on a x86 partition) however one of
them can be an extended partition which can have any number of other
partitions in it. Other ways you could set up the computer is to have one
big fat partition then linux cos be installed in large files created
within that fat partition (not recomended).

I would suggest the following 2.5 or may be even 2.0 gig for windows. I
have a 3 gig windows partition on my machine, and have windows, office and
VC 6.0 on it with 1 gig free.

128 meg of swap space then the rest for linux.

James