[ltp] which distro 4 a linux newbie T20?

Joe Clark linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 00:10:28 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Meidinger,Christopher" <C.Meidinger@peguform.de>
To: <linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: [ltp] which distro 4 a linux newbie T20?

> As long as Distros are a topic, anyone had particularly good or bad
> experiences with SlackWare on a ThinkPad? Installing SlackWare on my a31p
is
> my project for the weekend, so if anyone has major tips for me or
warnings,
> please let me know! Thanks a lot,

I just installed Slack 8.0 on my 600X this afternoon.  No problems getting
it up and running.  But sound is not functional.  My modems -- the built-in
Lucent Linmodem and a  PCMCIA modem/NIC combo are unrecognized.  As a matter
of fact, the PCMCIA doesn't seem to have registered at all.  This is a big
disappointment because I have been working with RH 7.2 on my 600E, which is
going away.  The RH install did took care of all kinds of details for me.
So I consider Slack a learning challenge -- and me, a challenged learner.
Actually RH 7.2 uses a much more developed kernel than Slack 8.0.  Maybe
Slack 8.1 will recognize more of the hardware.

JC