[ltp] Installing Linux on a ThinkPad A31p

Kristjan Onu linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:33:35 -0500

> Installing SlackWare on my a31p is my project for the weekend, so if
> anyone has major tips for me or warnings, please let me know!

As far as I'm aware, RedHat 7.3 is the only distribution that
recognizes the A31p's graphics card "out of the box". RedHat
accomplishes this by applying a patch by Mike Harris (see
ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/patches/) to XFree86 4.2.0. I was able
to apply the same patch to Debian's pre-release of XFree86 4.2.0 and
thus get X running on the A31p. Perhaps you can do the same with
Slackware.

Another option is to obtain XiG's X server (http://www.xig.com/) which
supports the A31p's ATI Mobility Fire GL 7800.

Kristjan

PS. My previous post regarding partitioning difficulties with the A31p
may also be of interest to you (if you plan on having Windows and
Linux on the hard drive)