[ltp] New...

zongliang li linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 8:54:41 +0800

Steven Crane

>New to Linux.
>New to Thinkpad.
>New to the Linux-Thinkpad mailing list.
>
>Less than a week ago, I finally got my grubby techno-paws on an=
 old Thinkpad 600e.

>One reason is that I need to maintain access to some important=
 files in case of a
>disaster while doing some upgrades to my main computer. Another=
 reason is that I feel
>its about time I started moving towards Linux... preferably=
 without risking the important
>files on the main computer from reason one.
>
>The Thinkpad is a 600e, pII 366MHz, 128Mb, 6.4GB, DVD (swappable=
 with otherwise
>external Floppy), version 5645-AL3, 1024x768 13+" display.
>
>The harddrive is currently partitioned 2, 2, 2+ GB. At the=
 moment the 2+ partition is
>intended for Linux. The most Linux can have is likely to be 3+=
 GB.

>I have some very minimal experience of installing Red Hat 6.1 on=
 an old p150 machine,
>and was very please with finally gettting the 14" Shinho monitor=
 to display at 800x600
>as this required manually locating and adjusting the frequency=
 range in the relevant file.
>Not exactly complex stuff, but tracking it down and identifying=
 felt like a big step.

>Questions...
>
>1 - BIOS upgrade?
>
>Existing BIOS is v24, currently available is v36. Limited=
 research shows that v26-29
>would be likely to give me problems with some Linux=
 installations, so I'm probably safe
>with what I have. Leave well alone or run the upgrade?

Never upgrade your BIOS unless you want to up grade you hardware=
 or fix some known buges that annoy you. It dangerous and may=
 bring the hard ware to be new one and your OS may can
not recognize them.
>2 - Linux version?
>
>I have an off the shelf copy of RedHat 6.1 with all the manuals=
 and minimal experience
>of using it and the Xwin (?) interface. On-line pages suggest=
 that it is reasonably
>supported by a 600e. Okay place to start? Any suggestions=
 welcome, although I'll feel
>safer with something relatively mainstream as an introduction.=
 SuSE lists the 600e as
>certified hardware under their v6.3

Mandrake Linux is very well, I have  install Mandrake 8.1 and 8.2=
 on TP600 and TP600x perfectly. Suse is good too. But I more Like=
 Mandrake because it bring me well interface of chinese. I am a=
 chinese. You may choose a version as you like. But you should a=
 new one.
>3 - Windows 98?
>
>Any way to get a processor ID through Win98? All I can tell is=
 that it is a Pentium II,
>doesn't seem to be any indication of MHz?
>
>Anyone care to recommend an Anti-Virus package for this age and=
 speed of machine?
>Norton is ABSOLUTELY out of the question and to be honest I'm=
 not particularly fond of
>McAfee as an e-mail scanner either.
Windows 98 is too old and some it will crash down and you can do=
 nothing but to reinstall it. I use windows 2000 .

I also install FreeBSD on my TP600X , Release 4.6 is very good to=
 use.

>---Steven

>The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
>http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D
=09=09=09

=09=09=09=09
=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1zongliang li
=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1lizl@ict.ac.cn
=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A1=A12002-07-09