[ltp] t30 pcmcia glitches...

Robert S. Thau linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:27:15 -0400 (EDT)

I've got RedHat 7.3 running on a T30, mostly painlessly; there is one
annoying glitch I've run into, however; cardmgr doesn't always detect
insertion or removal of my pcmcia modem.

When the system boots up, cardmgr works fine.  However, once anything
in userland opens the device ("echo foo > /dev/modem" is enough),
cardmgr apparently no longer gets informed of card insertion and
removal.  Oddly, though, "cardctl status" correctly reports the
presence or absence of the physical cards, and explicit "cardctl
eject" and "cardctl insert" shell commands will allow me to manually
keep the kernel in synch with reality.  Lastly, an APM suspend/resume
will put cardmgr back in business, happily detecting card insertion
and removal --- until the next time I actually try to use the modem.

As a yet more minor issue, the audio when the modem is dialing doesn't
seem to come in over the speakers.  I understand some people might
consider this a feature, not a bug, but the first time you hear an
irritated human voice instead of the modem squeals, you start to
appreciate the value of being able to monitor the process.

(It won't suspend with the card in and powered up, but that's to be
expected with Thinkpads).

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

rst