[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 vs. TP 600e

unlisted linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
15 Jul 2002 09:38:48 -0500

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 09:02, Chris Stone wrote:
> My Linux seems to think the thinkpad has a CS46** driver (that's what it
> says when it probes). On some sites on the internet, people say it's a 4232
> chipset...

i'm using alsa's cs4236 driver.

> No idea... I think I may just install RedHat 7.x instead.... as it may be
> easier to configure the sound by following other's examples.

i'm using debian woody/testing (with some packages from unstable/sid).
i can provide you my alsa-specific parts of modules.conf, which should
be distro non-specific.  heck, here it is:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.3b ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4236
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660
snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-cs4236 snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_0 snd_enable=1
snd_port=0x530 sn
d_cport=0x538 snd_mpu_port=-1 snd_fm_port=0x338 snd_sb_port=0x220
snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=1 snd_dma2=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

the word-wrapping may give you some trouble.  every line should begin
with either "alias", "options", or "#".

i have everything working but midi and recording with the built-in
microphone (and maybe with the external mic jack too, but i've never
tried it).  anybody have any pointers for recording with the built-in
mic for the 770x?  i think i have an email saved from this list about
mic recording, but i don't think it was 770x/cs4236 specific.  need to
revisit the issue.

whenever i have had problems with alsa (in the early days specific
versions of alsa just didn't work), i've just let discover
<http://packages.debian.org/discover> "discover" the sound card and load
the write OSS modules.  currently i have to tell discover to "skip"
boot-up process i can't load alsa.  disclaimer: i'm running 2.2.20.  i
don't seem to have anything in modules.conf for OSS, so maybe the
options are specified by discover.

as far as the mwave modem: i use the mwavem package from debian (that
thomas hood begun; THANKS THOMAS!).  i don't know what red hat provides,
but as popular as that distro is, i'm sure somebody has
compiled/maintains packages for it.  or at least there should be
instructions for it on ibm's open source site where the (do a google on
mwave and it'll probably be in the top 10).  the best part of the debian
package is the mwavem start/stop script.  i did have a hard time setting
the modem up juggling irqs and i/o (and not just for the modem, but for
all hardware), and the mwavem modem sometimes goes dead on me, but
executing "/etc/init.d/mwavem restart" gets it going again.

some day i'll document my set-up, using thomas hood's 600/600x web page
as inspiration (as a lot of his info applied to my 770x, and was VERY
helpful).