[ltp] Hibernation: worse than in Win2000

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:35:36 +0200

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 14:04:36 +0200, Werner Horbelt wrote:
> hi,
>
> I got hibernation working (with problems) on my thinkpad x20 with
> dual boot W2K + SuSE 7.3.
> On W2K it works flawlessly.
> On Linux it turns out to be much slower and has some flaws.
>
> The W2K hibneration software is actually different, e.g. the messages
> are german and only a small window appears.
> Another difference is that W2K uses C:\HIBERFIL.SYS on an NTFS
> partition while the Linux version uses the file save2dsk.bin on FAT.

IIRC W2K uses it's own hibernation function. In Linux the BIOS
hibernation function is used.

> Is FAT so much slower than NTFS?
> Is it because the software is worse?
>
> moreover, when hibernation worked, suspend behaved like hibernation:
> a background image appeared and it seemed to save memory to
> disk, but then it suspended correctly and waked up fast.
> any idea?

Maybe your ThinkPad is configured to do something called "readysafe".
If you suspend the machine, it does also write the hibernation file.
The reason for this is when you are running on battery power and the
battery goes down while the machine is suspended, you can still wake up
with the hibernation file. If the battery is still alive or the machine
is plugged in, it will just wake up from suspend.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG