[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 vs. TP 600e

Steven Crane linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:59:14 +0100

...Do you want to know how the hibernation file is organized or do you don't know what
hibernation is good for?...

At this stage I really don't know ANYTHING about "Hibernation". I imagine that it has
something to do with power saving and, more importantly, battery exhaustion.

Power management is not something I've really tackled under Mandrake 8.2 as yet.
KDE seems to virtually ignore it. The power management that I have managed to locate
seems only concerned with the monitor and, to me, looks primarily geared towards an
external monitor. I did notice a battery icon on the task bar in Gnome, so there must be
some coverage within the software.

IBM's official Redhat 6.0 documentation says that Power Management is NOT handled
by the installation and requires a re-compiled Kernel. I don't know if that still holds true
under Mandrake. My experience so far suggests this distribution is no more competent
than the old Redhat one when it comes to handling things automatically.

---Steven