[ltp] Incorporating Thinkpad Detection into Lm_sensors

Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:03:29 -0700

Hi, IBM was going to help get us some info on detecting for Thinkpads
(it sounds like it was easily done, but the info was
company-confidential).  But, since IBM dropped Linux support for
Thinkpads, we have lost hope that we will receive that information.

At the same time, Lm_sensors is becoming standard in distros.  We are
also working with Alan Cox to make it a standard in the primary Linux
Kernel distro.  He suggested (and we agree) that we come to some safe
solution for Thinkpad users first before proceeding.

So, I need your help!  How can we detect a Thinkpad?  Does the PCI bus
(lspci) give some obvious determination?  Or, is there some other
means of detection we could use?  If we could detect for a Thinkpad,
we could safely disable choice drivers to prevent any chance of Flash
ROM corruption on those Thinkpads which are vulnerable.

Another possibility is knowing the I2C address(es) of the vulnerable
Flash ROM chip(s).  If there are no other known devices at that/those
address(es), we could simply filter those out.  Scanning/probing
addresses is not safe to do, though, so I don't ask anyone to try it
intentionally.  But, if you happen to know what exact chip(s) this is,
or actually have i2cdetect or sensors-detect output, I'd love to see
it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil