[ltp] Incorporating Thinkpad Detection into Lm_sensors

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
20 Jul 2002 20:17:26 -0500

+---------- On Jul 20, phil@netroedge.com said:
> So, I need your help!  How can we detect a Thinkpad?  Does the PCI bus
> (lspci) give some obvious determination?  Or, is there some other
> means of detection we could use?  If we could detect for a Thinkpad,
> we could safely disable choice drivers to prevent any chance of Flash
> ROM corruption on those Thinkpads which are vulnerable.

Perhaps you could detect the "SMAPI BIOS", which many (possibly all)
Thinkpads appear to use. See Appendix B of the Technical Reference
Manual for the Thinkpad 600 or Thinkpad 770. If you search for "thinkpad
technical reference" on Google, those documents will be the top two
links.

Here's a quote:

    Systems that support SMAPI BIOS must provide the following header
    image in the F000 segment system ROM area at the 16-byte boundary.
    The client needs to search and find this SMAPI BIOS header image to
    get the entry point for the service.

    Field      Offset (in Hex)  Length   Value
    Signature  00               4 bytes  '$SMB' (ASCII)
    [etc...]

You might find the loadable modules in the tpctl package useful; they
use SMAPI. See <http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/tpctlhome.htm>.