[ltp] Thinkpad 600E and Mandrake

E Lofstad linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
31 May 2002 20:18:12 -0500

The stock Mandrake 8.2 kernel worked for me.  Here are a few things I
found:

In the bios, the quick boot option should be disabled.

Using the ps2.exe program with a Win boot disk, ensure that the hardware
is enabled and the interrupts are not conflicting.  This is how I have
mine setup (I don't use the IR port)
                                      IRQ Level
                                      3 4 5   7 9 10 11 15
Serial-A (3 or 4)                  :    O
Parallel (5 or 7)                  :          O
Internal Modem First IRQ           :               O
     (3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, or 15)
Internal Modem Second IRQ (3 or 4) :  O
WSS/Sound Blaster/FM               :      O
     (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)
MIDI port (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)  :            O
IR (3, 4, 5, 7)                    :    X
Second IDE (System)                :                     O
Second IDE (Docking station)       :                     X
Third IDE                          :                  X
PCI IRQ                            :                  O

Specifically for the modem:
LM8.2 has the mwave drivers already compiled in the kernel.  It is just
missing the start up script "mwaved" that I got that from the IBM
source.  That script acts just like any other service in
/etc/rc.d/init.d.

lilo.conf needs append="mem=130496k" so the kernel leaves the needed
memory for the modem driver.

ensure that no other drivers (such as the pcmcia) take the mwave irq
when they are loaded.

For the sound, here is what is in the modules.conf.  The 600e has a
cs461x chip set that emulates the cs4236.  Make sure the ports and irqs
match whatever is set by the ps2.exe utility.

modules.conf:
alias usb-interface usb-uhci

alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0666
snd_device_gid=

alias sound-card-0 snd-card-cs4236
alias sound snd-card-0
options snd-card-cs4236 snd_index=0 snd_port=0x530 snd_cport=0x538
snd_irq=5 snd

alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 sound-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss