[ltp] Thinkpad 600E and Mandrake

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 00:18:51 -0500

This is a pretty good setup guide for the TP 600E.  I have only a few
comments.

E Lofstad wrote:

>The stock Mandrake 8.2 kernel worked for me.  Here are a few things I
>found:
>
>In the bios, the quick boot option should be disabled.
>
>Using the ps2.exe program with a Win boot disk, ensure that the hardware
>is enabled and the interrupts are not conflicting.  This is how I have
>mine setup (I don't use the IR port)
>                                      IRQ Level
>                                      3 4 5   7 9 10 11 15
>Serial-A (3 or 4)                  :    O
>Parallel (5 or 7)                  :          O
>Internal Modem First IRQ           :               O
>     (3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, or 15)
>Internal Modem Second IRQ (3 or 4) :  O
>WSS/Sound Blaster/FM               :      O
>     (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)
>MIDI port (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)  :            O
>IR (3, 4, 5, 7)                    :    X
>Second IDE (System)                :                     O
>Second IDE (Docking station)       :                     X
>Third IDE                          :                  X
>PCI IRQ                            :                  O

With the current mwave driver you can't choose an IRQ that is the same
as the disabled IR.  So the above will work fine, but say if for some
crazy reason you want to have the serial port use 3 and the mwave use 4,
you will get a bogus message from the mwave driver about a conflict with
the IR, even though the IR is disabled.  I have a patch for this.

>Specifically for the modem:
>LM8.2 has the mwave drivers already compiled in the kernel.  It is just
>missing the start up script "mwaved" that I got that from the IBM
>source.  That script acts just like any other service in
>/etc/rc.d/init.d.

In Debian one must recompile the kernel to get the mwave driver, but the
support files are installed with a simple "apt-get install mwavem" .  A
Debian user might also want to install the tpctl, thinkpad-base, and
thinkpad-source packages maintained by Thomas Hood.

>lilo.conf needs append="mem=130496k" so the kernel leaves the needed
>memory for the modem driver.

One should use the number that your ThinkPad displays during bootup.  I
have nominally 160MB and my 600E displays 163264k.  Without this kernel
boot parameter your ThinkPad will eventually crash when both the
firmware and Linux try to use the same memory.

>ensure that no other drivers (such as the pcmcia) take the mwave irq
>when they are loaded.

When I used a 16-bit pcmcia network card it would want to steal the IRQ
from the modem, but now that I use a 32-bit cardbus network card it
leaves the modem and serial port IRQs alone.

>For the sound, here is what is in the modules.conf.  The 600e has a
>cs461x chip set that emulates the cs4236.  Make sure the ports and irqs
>match whatever is set by the ps2.exe utility.
>
>modules.conf:
>alias usb-interface usb-uhci
>
>alias char-major-116 snd
>options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0666
>snd_device_gid=
>
>alias sound-card-0 snd-card-cs4236
>alias sound snd-card-0
>options snd-card-cs4236 snd_index=0 snd_port=0x530 snd_cport=0x538
>snd_irq=5 snd
>
>alias char-major-14 soundcore
>alias sound-slot-0 sound-card-0
>alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
>alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss

It looks like a couple of lines got chopped off above.  There are
several ways to configure the sound, depending on whether you use the
OSS, old ALSA, or new ALSA driver.  The above looks like old ALSA.  In
the archives of this list and on several helpful web pages you can find
working examples of all three setups.

>>If I have to recompile the kernel, I'd appreciate some advice (or a config
>>file) that will give me the right options.

Doesn't Mandrake have a nice kernel compile helper like Debian's
make-kpkg?  Can one use "make dep;make rpm" to build a kernel package?
 One should probably use the .config used by your distribution's kernel
as a starting point.  You might find that in /boot.

wes