[ltp] Sensors still an issue?

Eric Jorgensen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 20:12:21 -0600

On Thu, 30 May 2002 15:21:23 +0200 (CEST)
Boyan <bt@stw-bonn.de> wrote:

> > It's the DVD movie playback I'm struggling with. Reading DVD data cds
> > works a charm. I've got the hacked neomagic driver for XFree86 4.2.0
> > with support for Xv but it's still jerky. Any ideas? I've run out of
> > things to try.
>
> Here I cannot be of any help. I once thought of trying mplayer but it
> looked pretty complicated for me, for instance how do you install the
> patched with Xv neomagic driver? vcd and avi formats work ok, though.
> So I wait a couple of years until dvd playback programs become easier
> to install.

	If you just want to play DVDs, you can get binary packages of the VideoLan
client (vlc) that pretty much only depend on stuff you get right at
www.videolan.org. Nothing like the mplayer dependency nightmare (which is worth
it, if you have a bunch of different video formats to play).

	Of course, if you're sure your video player is using Xv and it's still jerky, I
don't know what to say. Make sure you have udf fs support in the kernel? See if
hdparm can tune up your dvd drive?

	My X21 plays DVDs just fine with both mplayer and vlc, but it's got a piii-700
so it really oughta.

 - Eric