[ltp] Thinkpad 600E and Mandrake

Joe Clark linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:48:46 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Lee" <gladius@gladius.f9.co.uk>
To: <linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com>
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 5:39 AM
Subject: [ltp] Thinkpad 600E and Mandrake

> Hi,
>
> New here, so hope you'll forgive if this is a silly question.
>
> I have a 600e Thinkpad (366/128MB/6.5GB) and have installed Mandrake 8.2
>
> It was fine to install and is all working, except for sound and the modem.
> I found the modem driver that IBM made, and built it, but kept getting an
> error trying to load it.
> I just don't know with the sound - I had SUSE 7.3 on and the sound worked
> for MP3 and WAV, but
> CD's wouldn't play, and I couldn't get my network card to work, so I
> installed Mandrake.
> Same problems but network works and no sound at all.

Partial answer.  I have installed RH6.2 and then replaced it with RH7.2.
The CD worked fine with RH6.2 and intially with RH 7.2.  Something happened
one evening.  Now no sound comes out when I try to use the CD ROM for
playing audio CD's.  After delving into the Sound HOWTO, I discovered that I
can get the audio to work by entering "modprobe SB".  But that only works
until I power off.

I believe that this problem has been addressed on "ltp" several times since
I have joined and the usual answer is to disable APM.  But I haven't figured
out how to do that.

> Question remains - can I get the Modem to work, and can I get sound to
work?
> The alternative is that I just put Win2000 on so that everything works out
> of the box - but I'd rather stay the OSS route as the licence for 2000 is
> expensive.

The Modem-HOWTO refers to a mini-HOWTO: ACP Modem that specifically
addresses the IBM Thinkpad 600+.  I haven't gotten there yet so I can't say
how much help you will find there.

I am dual booting with Win98.  And I am able to go on-line using that OS.

HTH

JC