[ltp] 600E system freeze--software or hardware?

Mark Nye linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 08:47:38 -0400

Hi All,

On two occasions I've experienced odd system freezes running RH7.2 on my
TP600E. The first occurance was three months or so ago -- I was at the
computer editing a text file when everything suddenly froze and the hard
drive began making an odd "clanking" noise (pretty loud) that repeated over
and over until I powered down the system. I restarted in DOS and ran IBM's
disk-check tools, but didn't find any problems with the hard disk.

The same thing happened again just this morning. To me it still seems like a
hardware issue (perhaps the hard drive trying to access a bad block) but
again I can't find a problem with the disk.

Has anyone encountered something like this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark Nye