[ltp] 600E system freeze--software or hardware?

Robert A Munro linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
05 Jun 2002 11:48:28 -0700

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 05:12, Mark Nye wrote:

> Thanks to all of you for the input. No disk seek or I/O errors in
> /var/log/messages...only the note written during restart that "read-only
> filesystem recovery necessary". I suspect that James is right: no error
> messages were written because the drive had stopped working.
>
> Perhaps my safest bet is to replace the drive. Does anyone have a US side
> source for good, used Thinkpad parts?
>
> all the best,
> Mark

Dunno... you could try Google to find specialty parts houses.  Then
there's Ebay, but the usual caveats apply.

Before you do that, you might try unseating and *carefully* reseating
the drive a few times.  The contact pin surfaces might have oxidized.

Good luck,
Robert