[ltp] Grey volume buttons... and other special keys

ZeiMoT linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:33:55 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Tod Harter wrote:
> Interesting... One of those commands Mandrake doesn't see fit to include,
> highly annoying habit they have :(. Like the x-ssh-askpass binary, which they
> also have banished to lala land, GRRRRR.

The case is the same with the finger client, it seems to not be included
unless one installs the fingerd.

> Well, anyway, as I expected, on the A20p the 'thinkpad' button doesn't
> generate any kind of events at all. It would be nice... Maybe the nice people
> at IBM will patch the bios to insert a keyboard event for that (I ain't
> holding my breathe, but wouldn't it be kinda nice?).

Nice indeed. Which makes me wonder if the Fn + 'any key' could be used for
something more than those standard buttons, I personally think it's a
waste of a fn-key to have just 6 functions as the case is on the R30.

Maybe it's as easy as reading and comparing the /dev/nvram , maybe
some data will appear there when the thinkpad button is pressed. Either
something like that or it has got a non standard port to read...
Guessing seems to be the only way to find out about it.

  -=< ZeiMoT >=-

    /              zeimot@astrakan.hig.se               \