[ltp] Grey volume buttons... and other special keys

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:06:45 +0200

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 09:33:55 +0200, ZeiMoT wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Tod Harter wrote:
> > Interesting... One of those commands Mandrake doesn't see fit to include,
> > highly annoying habit they have :(. Like the x-ssh-askpass binary, which they
> > also have banished to lala land, GRRRRR.
>
> The case is the same with the finger client, it seems to not be included
> unless one installs the fingerd.
>
> > Well, anyway, as I expected, on the A20p the 'thinkpad' button doesn't
> > generate any kind of events at all. It would be nice... Maybe the nice people
> > at IBM will patch the bios to insert a keyboard event for that (I ain't
> > holding my breathe, but wouldn't it be kinda nice?).
>
> Nice indeed. Which makes me wonder if the Fn + 'any key' could be used for
> something more than those standard buttons, I personally think it's a
> waste of a fn-key to have just 6 functions as the case is on the R30.
>
> Maybe it's as easy as reading and comparing the /dev/nvram , maybe
> some data will appear there when the thinkpad button is pressed. Either
> something like that or it has got a non standard port to read...
> Guessing seems to be the only way to find out about it.

The keys could also be triggered by an IO address. Toshiba does this
with it's special keys.

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG