[ltp] Video for thinkpad 760xl

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:37:11 +0200

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 14:04:50 +0000, Micah DS wrote:
> OK, I have now tested XFree86 Versions:
> 4.1.0
> 4.2.0
> 3.3.6
> Both 4.1 and 4.2 fail to load the trident video driver properly (I get a
> garbled desktop on half to 3/4s of my screen...
>
> 3.3.6 Actually works with the SVGA driver and works well =)
>
> If the 4.x.x had a generic SVGA driver it could work, but they don't have
> it...

XFree86 3 consists of several Xservers for various graphic chips. The
SVGA Xserver of 3.3.6 includes the code for the trident chips. XFree86
4 has only one Xserver that loads the required driver as a module, for
instance trident_drv.o which contains the code for the trident chips.
The problem you have is that as far as I can see it the trident driver
for XFree86 4 is a complete rewrite.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG