[ltp] [announcement] tpb - program to use the IBM ThinkPad (tm) special key

ZeiMoT linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:32:21 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Markus Braun wrote:
> on my T21. I don't have access to other thinkpads so I don't know if it
> works models.

Works perfectly on the Thinkpad R30. Great work finding out how the data
was organized. I'll probably spend the weekend writing an xinput for xfree
4.x ... I just have to study the xinput way again. Or is it a
better Idea to write a kernel mod that put data in /proc, so that one does
no need to have a suid rootowned binary to start programs? I really do
not like the idea of letting anyone else but root have access to
/dev/nvram, and I dislike suid rootowned binaries.
If the relevant data was to be found at
/proc/misc/thinkpad
it would be wonderful. For example in directory /proc/misc/thinkpad
'ThinkPadButton' would be writeable and readable with a boolean value.
'Volume' would keep the value of the volume lvl 0-14
'Muting' be a readable boolean
'Brightness' value 0-7
'KbdLight' boolean

... and so on for the rest of the combinations we might find ('Fn-??') .

Opinions?

  -=< ZeiMoT >=-

 D a n i e l                                              /ei|\/|o |
 D a l e t h s s o n                                     /_  |  |  |