[ltp] Using microsoft optical Intellimouse wheel mouse w/ selectabase.

Thomas Porter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:20:23 -0400

I had to replace my old Logitech 3-button mouse, which had worked flawlessly in
a setp where I have a 4-port KVM switch connected to a Linux desktop machine, a
WIN98 desktop machine, and my TP600X plugged into a selectabase.  When plugged
into the selectabase, the trackpoint would not work, which was fine; when I
pulled the TP600X out of the docking station, the trackpoint would start up
again.  As both the trackpoint and Logitech mouse were PS/2 and true three
button mice, both GPM 1.19.3 and X4.1.0 were happy using a single mouse
definition.

Because I use the selectabase and the KVM, I have the MS wheelmouse plugged
into the PS/2 adapter, and that plugged into the KVM, so using the new mouse as
a USB mouse is not an option.

Current TP600X /etc/sysconfig/mouse: (RH 6.2)

FULLNAME="Generic - 3 Button Mouse (PS/2)"
MOUSETYPE="ps/2"
XEMU3="no"
XMOUSETYPE="PS/2"

/dev/mouse -> /dev/psaux

Current XFree86-4 config mouse section:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"  #added earlier to try out scrollpoint?
EndSection

Please note that I only _really_ want the wheel to work as a third button; I
don't care about the scrolling stuff that much.

I realize that I set up two different GPM mouse definitions, and two XFree86-4
config files, one for the trackpoint, and one for the wheelmouse; and manually
switch betweeen them depending on whether I am plugged into the selactabase or
not, but I was trying to find a more elegant solution to the problem.

Thomas Hoods site seems to refer to setting up XFree86 to read GPM mouse
movement data as opposed to the mouse device directly, and says that in that
case one only needs to reatart GPM with the right config data, and X will not
need to be reatarted on switching mice, but this was not too clear to me.

I have also seen references to setting the internal pointer to auto-disable via tpctl, which I do run.

Any help or suggestions wuold be welcome.

Thanks,

--
Tom Porter                                       txporter@mindspring.com