[ltp] Serial Console Install, update

John Heim linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:40:09 -0600

I'm blind so I've been trying to do a serial console install of linux on a
Thinkpad 755.  But I get nothing on my terminal window when I add a serial
console during the installation.

I made a bootable floppy under Win 95 and ran MS-DOS Kermit. Kermit can't
talk either and it's beeping like it does when it can't communicate via the
serial port. So I think my problem is with the serial port and not linux.

I managed to download a version of ps2.exe from the IBM web site. And ran a
batch file like this:

  ps2 ir disable
  ps2 sera enable
  ps2 sera address 1
  ps2 imodem enable
  ps2 imodem address 2

Then I said:

  A:> fix.bat >> fix.txt

So then I listened to fix.txt and each of the above commands appeared to
work. It said something liek "Reboot to have changes take effect." Yet,
kermit still can't talk to the serial port. Nor does the modem dial out.
The fact that the modem also doesn't work leads me to believe I'm still
doing something wrong rather than that the serial port is just bad.

1) Is there some way for me to get the status of the serial ports?

2) The IBM web site has some serious accessibility issues for the visually
impaired. I spent hours searching for ps2.exe but all I found was something
labeled v 1.06. Anybody know what I can search on to find a more recent
version?

3) Anybody have any other ideas on what might be wrong? Any other suggestions?

--
John G. Heim
WiscINFO Customer Service Coordinator