[ltp] Slackware pcmcia nfs install?

Cameron Kerr linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:43:36 +1300 (NZDT)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, John Heim wrote:

As a Slacker myself...

>I'm a little fuzzy on doing a slackware install via a pcmcia network card.

Okay, you have PCMCIA, and NETWORK. On your CD, in the /rootdsks
directory, you will find color.gz, as well as two supplementary disks,
netw245.dsk, and pcm245.dsk (or named similar). As well as those, you
will need the bare.i (most likely) boot disk. These are the 2.4.5
versions, there is also the 2.2.19 versions, network.dsk, and pcmcia.dsk.

So you need to set up four floppies. To copy the image to the disk, use

dd if=/cdrom/..... of=/dev/fd0

When you've booted, load the pcmcia disk. You may then need to load the
network disk. Try it out. I've never used the pcmcia disk before, but I
do regularly use the network disk.

>By the way, I gave up trying to get the serial port on my Thinkpad 755ce to
>work. I'm blind and I wanted to do a serial console install but no matter
>what I did the serial port wouldn't work.

I think versions of Slackware earlier than 8.0 (and not including 8.0)
had an option for a serial port install. But IIRC, it was removed because
it wasn't a feature many needed. Pity really, would be useful.

>So far so good. I bot both machines to boot via the slack installation
>diskette. I got pcmcia support loaded. (According to my wife the screens
>say the same thing more or less.) But like I said, I cannot then get slack
>to recognize my network card.

What kind of network card do you have? If its uncommon, support for it may
not be included in the installation media.

Cameron Kerr
--
cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~cameronk/