[ltp] resurrecting a dead HD

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 13:17:58 -0700 (MST)

Has anyone been able to successfully resurrect a dead TP hard drive?

A while back, I bought a 3-gb (FRU P/N 45H8791) drive for my 760XL on ebay. It
worked fine when the floppy drive was installed, but would not boot up (in
fact caused the machine to make a loud whine) when the CD drive was in. When I
put it in a 760EL, it worked fine both ways, so I installed Red Hat 7.2 on it
and put it aside for a couple of months.

Now, this hard drive will not boot up on either the 760XL or the 760EL in any
configuration. At power on, it makes a faint rattle, as if it were trying to
spin up but not quite managing to, then the computer lets loose a loud whine
(audible error tone?).

So, what can I try? Giving it a good whack with a heavy hammer? Immersion in
boiling water? Threats? Prayers?

Any suggestions?