[ltp] resurrecting a dead HD

Dean L. Hedin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 01 May 2002 09:24:28 -0400

Sounds like a problem that used to happen on older hard drives....
I think they called it "stiction"  where after sitting for a long time
the heads would fuse to the platter.  I had thought that most
modern drives pull the heads away from the surface after powerdown
to avoid the issue.   The reason I mention this is the fact that you
state that it sounds like it is trying to spin the platter but does not.