[ltp] A22p crashes on resume from suspend - Help!

Richard Neill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 05 May 2002 00:12:39 +0100

Dear All,

I hope someone can help with this - it's driving me up the wall.

I have an A22p, running Mandrake 8.2 (kernel 2.4.18-6mdk).
I allow it to suspend (ie suspend to RAM/ apm-s) after 45 minutes of
inactivity, and about 1 time in 7, it fails to wake up. Here are the
symptoms:

I press 'Fn' to wake the machine, and the screen comes back on as it was
  (the last frame of the screensaver before sleep). It then freezes
there, and does nothing. (The HDD does not power up, nor does the fan).

I can turn on the thinklight, or change the monitor/video out options,
and it also responds to the CD tray. But nothing else. If I am on a
network, I can't ping it from another machine.

Ctrl-Alt-Esc/Bksp/Del do nothing.

Ctrl-Alt-F(1-7) give me the other login screens. At these, I can type
'rjn' and see it echoed. But the prompt for a password never appears.
Pressing <enter> just generates line feeds, and for example, the arrow
keys give ^[[A   on the screen (ie it's just like typing into a konsole
that is currently busy running another process).

Alt-SysRq-R/U do what they are supposed to, and echo a message to the
screen. Alt-SysRq-K will kill the X-server, but again, doesn't give me
any prompt to login.

In the end, all I can do is power off or Alt-SysRq-B.

One last thing - a way to make this happen regularly is to leave the
modem (the LtWinmodem) actually online when the machine suspends. But
this is not the cause of the crash as I am now careful to diconnect from
the net. Also, it was an occurrence, but much more rarely in Mdk8.1.

Thanks for reading this - please let me know if this is enough
information, or if there are any more diagnostics I can get.

Sincerely

Richard