[ltp] 802.11 card makes my 600E slow

G Brigley linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 11 May 2002 17:55:58 -0400 (EDT)

I've been experimenting with a borrowed Enterasys RoamAbout card in my
600E, running Mandrake 8.2.  Whenever I have the card inserted, it
seems to make my machine very very sluggish with respect to hard drive
reads.  Applications that normally start instantaneously take forever.
For instance, running su in in an xterm takes something like
30 seconds to return once I enter the password.  Once things are
running, they seem more or less
normal.  (For example, I can edit a document in OpenOffice more
or less normally, but
starting OpenOffice takes far longer to open than usual.)  My CPU usage is
not elevated.

Also, DNS lookups seem hideously slow, but once they complete, web and ftp
throughput is very good.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Greg