[ltp] Washington Post article Linux on TP600

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 21:44:43 +0100

Quoting Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net>:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Today's (Sunday) Washington (DC) Post has an article on installing
> Linux:
> 	http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36612-2002May18.html
> One of the computers involved is a TP600. The dear gent writing the
> article has problems getting sound and modem working. Anyone care to
> read the article, and see if you can help him out?
[snip]
I don't know what he did, but the sound has always worked fine on my 600X (same
chip family), with Redhat 6, 7.0, 7.2, Mandrake 7.0, 8.0, and 8.2.

It's obvious that the modem might not work on a straight install... but you can
hardly blame the GNU/Linux community for *that* one! That said, the 600 has the
Mwave modem, which is natively supported in Mdk8.2 AFAIK.

It appears to me that many people give up on Linux because they can't get out of
the Redmond way of thinking. For example, don't bother trying to get Office to
work on Linux, or complain that it isn't supported etc etc. Just think a little
differently and use OpenOffice.org instead. I'm a 100% non-MS shop at home and
on most of the kit I have any influence over, but I have to support a load of MS
desktops at work and I'm constantly frustrated by their habit of falling over
several times a day for no good reason. You can't even examine the logs, because
they don't have any!

I've been running GNU/Linux on my TP600 ever since I had it. The only time I
booted DOS was to create the hibernation file. I can safely say that it hasn't
fallen over once on me. I may suspend and resume 50 times between full reboots
but it just carries on, as it quite rightly should.

I find I'm far more productive on GNU/Linux than on any other platform. For
example, do this on a 'Doze box:

wget ftp://ftp.somesite.com/iso-images/somedistro.iso -O - | cdrecord dev=0,0,0 -

Just my 2p's worth!

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom