[ltp] Sensors still an issue?

Boyan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 08:23:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Bjorn,

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Bjorn Knutsson wrote:
> lm-sensors once on my machine. Next time I rebooted, it had turned
> into an expensive doorstop.

Am really sorry for what happened to your machine, you were probably
one of the pioneers in the sensors saga.

> Anyway, my old 600X would run the fan for a while, and then stop. If
> you haven't enabled APM, this could be the reason - with APM, you make
> calls to the APM BIOS when you're idle that allows the processor to
> run cooler.

That is what I thought as well, when I compiled the stock suse 2.4.18
to "allow idle calls" and all the APM, but to no avail. In march I have
also updated to latest bios and do not know what else could change the
fan behaviour.

> My newer T23 works exactly the same - the fan will run for a while,
> and then stop, unless I'm doing something CPU intensive.

Even if left unattended for hours the fan would run and run. The good
news is that it is not that noisy, and in no case as disturbing as the
fans of other laptops that colleagues of mine have.

Boyan