[ltp] Imformation

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:13:57 -0500

Tod wrote:
>On Monday 04 November 2002 11:53 am, Pam Huntley wrote:
>> I wouldn't
>> recommend aol or msn as they are difficult at best to get to work under
>> Linux.

>Uhhh, thats a massive understatement...

Well, I didn't just want to say they didn't work, because last installfest
there was a guy telling someone how to get MSN to work, it sounded like a
multi-step process comprable to pulling teeth, and I never actually saw it
working....    Also, I saw a beta of AOL on Linux, provided by AOL, but
personally I never downloaded it or tested it because I have no use for it.

So, didn't want to say the absolutely didn't work, because you never know,
but I also didn't want to give someone the wrong impression that it would
be easy if they had aol or msn.

At any rate!!!  :-)

Pam

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           Tod Harter                  |
|         |           <tharter@giantelectronicbrai|
|         |           n.com>                      |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-t|
|         |           hinkpad.org                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           11/05/2002 10:24 AM         |
|         |           Please respond to           |
|         |           linux-thinkpad              |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org, Pam Huntley/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS                          |
  |       cc:       Clarafolsom@webtv.net                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Re: [ltp] Imformation                                                                     |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

On Monday 04 November 2002 11:53 am, Pam Huntley wrote:
> I wouldn't
> recommend aol or msn as they are difficult at best to get to work under
> Linux.

Uhhh, thats a massive understatement... There is absolutely utterly NO
support for either msn or aol under Linux. After days of searching I was
able
to find a very primitive bit of code some college student wrote which could

dial into AOL's network and sign on, but it couldn't even transfer data
beyond that.... Their protocol is highly proprietary it seems, though based

on X.25 maybe?