[ltp] Quick bit of info and a request for help

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:40:20 +0100

Hi all,

<INFO-1 subject="Web-Ring">

I just wanted to inform you all that the Linux Thinkpad Web-Ring is tops
in traffic statistics (the linux pages).

If you have set up a site detailing your experiences with Linux and
IBM's Thinkpads then you should really think about joining the ring.
My page is no longer listed :-( , but then again it does only contain
<really> old information. Long gone are the days when I had time to hack
XFree86 :-( .

See: http://t.webring.com/hub?ring=linuxthinkpad

</INFO-1>

<INFO-2 subject="lm_sensors">

Latest versions of lm_sensors (>=2.6.5) now contains code to identify
IBM machines (not just ThinkPads but any IBM H/W).

If it identifies the machine machine vendor, via BIOS calls AFAIK, as
being IBM, then it will not run. I have talked (mailed) with one of the
developers and he says that the detection code has not been thoroughly
tested (big surprise, I don't want to test it either), so he still
recommends the ThinkPad users leave it alone (unless that they are sure
that they don't have the chip "24RF08" on their H/W).

So, the waring still stands. DON'T try lm-sensors !

See: http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/CHANGES
     http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/

</INFO-2>

<HELP-REQUEST subject="www.linux-thinkpad.org">

I have been unable to keep up with all the changes in the TP world (new
models, distro's etc.), forget about all the changes/advances in the
Linux world.

Are any of you prepared to assist me in keeping linux-thinkpad.org
current and put new infomation up for grabs ?

I do hope that some of you want to participate, I'm a hacker not really
a Web-Site man.

See: http://www.linux-thinkpad.org/

</HELP-REQUEST>

Bill Mair
[ltp] Mailing List Maintainer (and devoted Linux user)
Oh my Gawd, I've working with XML too much. ;-)