[ltp] Thinkpad R31

Wolfgang Ritzinger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
24 Nov 2002 18:04:54 +0100

hi list!

i am working on an ibm thinkpad R31 (Model 2656-1DG) with redhat 7.3.

i used the recent redhat kernels, and compiled the 2.4.19 with the patch
for the ibm-modem of my model.

--snipp--
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem (rev 02) (prog-if 00
[Generic])
	Subsystem: IBM ThinkPad R31 2656BBG
	Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
	Latency: 0
	Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
	Region 0: I/O ports at a000 [size=256]
	Region 1: I/O ports at a400 [size=128]
--snapp--

most things are working properly like described in the install notes
from several guys in the web.

only for two major points i didn't find any solution:

the build in modem:
-------------------
the build in modem does not work on this model. i tryed with several
drivers:

* the mwavem-1.0.4 driver has the problem, that there is no smapi
available. so the driver fails with the error message:
--snipp--
Nov 23 20:18:27 morgoth kernel: smapi::smapi_init, ERROR invalid
usSmapiID
Nov 23 20:18:27 morgoth kernel: mwave:
tp3780i::tp3780I_InitializeBoardData: Error: SMAPI is not available on
this machine
Nov 23 20:18:27 morgoth kernel: mwave: mwavedd::mwave_init: Error:
Failed to initialize board data
Nov 23 20:18:27 morgoth kernel: mwave: mwavedd::mwave_init: Error:
Failed to initialize
--snapp--

* trying the pctel (pctel-0.9.6) driver loads with the right io-values
and irq, but wenn trying to start minicom with ttyS15 i got no response
to the AT commandos.

* i have tried another driver too (i guess it was ltmodem-8.22a5) where
i got an response on the AT-commandos, but i could not get the modem to
dial.

the irda:
---------
the irda interface does start up without problems, but my phone (nokia
6310) and palm (palm m505) is not found by the /proc/irda/discovery.
hence i never worked with irda maybee i failed in using the howtos.

with the preinstalled windows xp irda and modem works without
problems... :/

has anyone the same problems, or did someone solve them? modem and irda
would be very usefull for me...

the postings and howtos i read so far did not help me in this two
points. i hope somebody has any suggestions.

because i am no kernel programmer, i am not able to hack the kernel or
make anything usefull. but if anyone needs me to test patches or
software it would be no problem to do this.

best thanks
	wolf
--
Aargon is Wolfgang Ritzinger (WRT)