[ltp] Serial port on Thinkpad 600x (Mandrake 9.0)

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
14 Oct 2002 21:27:49 +0200

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 20:27, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> Isn't the "serial port 1" displayed in that listing really the internal
> modem?

No.  On the 600 series machines, the first serial port
("SER"ial port "A" in PS2.EXE; serial port #1 in tpctl) is
the RS-232 port.

The second serial port ("IR" port in PS2.EXE, serial port #2
in tpctl) is the infrared interface.

> I know on my Thinkpad 600 (no X), that the serial port by
> default is set to Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4, while the internal (mwave) modem
> sits on IRQ 3.

True.  In that case the IR port must be disabled or
configured to use another interrupt.

--
Thomas